Discovering Other Australia Visas: Lesser-Known Options That May Apply to You

Some Australia visas are common, like student or employer-sponsored visas. There are others that are less known but could provide a better way to enter or remain in the country legally. Are you sure that you are applying for the correct visa type for your situation? Read on to learn about other visa options and what they have to offer.

Discovering Other Australia Visas

Bridging Visas

Bridging visas are used to bridge the gap between other types of Australia visas. This category includes five options:

  • Bridging Visa A (BVA) – Subclass 010 permits a stay while a new substantive visa is approved. If you leave Australia, you cannot return with this visa.
  • Bridging Visa B (BVB) – Subclass 020 is similar to Bridging Visa A, however you are permitted to leave and return to the country for a specified period of time. Once approved, you cannot change or extend the travel period.
  • Bridging Visa C (BVC) – Subclass 030 does not permit you to leave and return. You must remain in the country. You may have automatically applied for this type if you are in Australia and do not have a BVE and have not held one since your last substantive visa.
  • Bridging Visa D (BVD) – Subclass 040 – 041 let you stay as a prospective applicant (040) or a non-applicant (041). This Australia visa does not permit you to work or return if you leave.
  • Bridging Visa E (BVE) – Subclass 050 – 051 is used while waiting for an immigration decision or while making plans to leave. You may be granted a 050 if you are an unlawful non-citizen or have a valid BVD and plan to leave, seek a judicial or merit review or ministerial intervention, or are applying for a substantive visa.

Subclass 051 is granted if you were refused immigration clearance or bypassed clearance within the past 45 days and are in detention or applied for a protection visa.

Crew Travel Authority Visa

This type of Australia visa, known as subclass 942, is used by air carriers to register crew. It allows for a 30 day stay for safety inspectors and crew members and a five day stay for positioning crew members.

Former Resident & Resident Return Visas

Subclass 151, or Former Resident visas, allow a former permanent resident or eligible individuals who served in the Australian Defence Force to live legally as permanent residents. Applicant must be under age 45 and never been an Australian citizen.

Resident Return visas, or subclass 155 and 157, allow former and current permanent residents and citizens to return to the country.

Medical Treatment Visa

People seeking medical treatment or consultations can enter the country with a subclass 602 visa. It is also used to bring in organ donors.

Special Category Visa

Subclass 444 permits New Zealand citizens to visit, stay, work, and study in Australia. Applicants must have a valid New Zealand passport and meet all character and health requirements.

Special Purpose Visa

This type of Australia visa is used to allow people with a prescribed status or those declared by the Minister to hold Special Purpose visas to lawfully enter the country. This type is reserved for members of the Royal Family, official guests of the government, and members of the military.

If you want to learn more about your Australia visa options, contact Emergico today. Visit our website to complete a free eligibility assessment.

Leanne Stevens

CEO, Emergico // Registered Migration Agent (#1171279)