Citizens of New Zealand usually enter Australia on a Special Category Visa, allowing them to reside in Australia on a temporary but indefinite basis.  Now, there is a pathway to Citizenship for Special Category Visa holders, after they meet all requirements.Read more details below, and get in touch with us today to discuss whether you can take advantage of these opportunities personally!

Special Category Visa (Subclass 444)

PROVIDESTemporary Residency

Upon arrival at an Australia border, New Zealand passport holders who are of good character are typically granted a subclass 444 (Special Category) Visa, allowing them to live and work in Australia on a temporary but indefinite basis. The Subclass 444 allows New Zealand citizens to reside, work and study in Australia.  The visa expires when the visa holder departs Australia, but although it is an ongoing visa, it is not considered permanent. Holders of the Subclass 444 have the opportunity to apply for Citizenship, once they are eligible to do so.

Special residency rights

If you can qualify for the Subclass 444, you can enjoy indefinite temporary residency and the opportunity to apply for Citizenship in due course.

Australian Citizenship


There are two pathways to Australian Citizenship for New Zealand citizens. If your arrival into Australia occurred on or before 26th February 2001, you may be an ‘eligible New Zealand citizen’, able to apply for Australian citizenship (by conferral) directly. More recently, a change in legislation has meant that Subclass 444 Visa holders who arrived more recently, have lived in Australia for at least 4 years, and who meet residency and character requirements, may also apply for Australian citizenship. 

Become an Aussie!

If you're interested in applying for Australian Citizenship, we can help! Whether you can apply now or in the future, let's talk.

Family Members of New Zealand Citizens

PROVIDESTemporary Residence for family members of New Zealand Citizens

If a New Zealand citizen wishes to live in Australia, but they have a partner or children who do not hold a New Zealand passport, the family member may apply for a Subclass 461 – New Zealand Family Relationship Visa.  This is a 5 year visa, which allows the person to reside, work and study in Australia, and which can be renewed indefinitely. 

Family Member of a NZ Citizen?

There's a special visa to allow you to live in Australia!