Visa Options Every Graduate Should Know!

If you’re a graduate and you’d like to extend your time in Australia, you’re in luck!  There are visas available that may allow you to do exactly that.  At Emergico, we can help to identify all of your visa opportunities, and guide you towards the best option for you.  Click here to take advantage of a free initial assessment of your visa opportunities.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485 )

This temporary visa allows international students to live, study further, and work after finishing studies in Australia.  It’s a great visa for recent graduates as it doesn’t require employer sponsorship and there’s no points test to pass.  Most graduates use the time to gain work experience, build up skills and prepare for their future in Australia or in their home country.

There are two ‘streams’ for a Temporary Graduate visa:

  • Graduate Work stream which can usually allow you to stay in Australia for up to 18 months.
  • Post-Study Work stream which can usually allow you to stay between 2 and 4 years, depending on your qualification.

Be careful to select the right stream, otherwise it will affect your visa application. Interested in this visa?

Training Visa (Subclass 407)

A training visa is a temporary visa which can allow you residency of up to 2 years in Australia to complete a workplace-based training (to improve your skills for your current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise), or a professional development training program. To apply for this visa, you must have an approved sponsor (employer) who must have nominated you to participate in a program of occupational training in Australia.

Temporary Skills Shortage visa (Subclass 482)

This visa is for students who completed an overseas qualification and had at least 2 years full time (or 4 years part time) work experience in a skilled occupation prior to studying in Australia.  This visa gives them the option of working in Australia for up to 4 years if their occupation is on the STSOL (Short term Skilled Occupation List)  or a pathway to permanent residence after working for their Australian employer after three years of employment, if their occupation is on MLTSSL ( Medium and Long term Strategic Skills list).  To apply for this visa, you must find an Australian employer who will nominate you for the visa.

Another Student Visa in a regional area (Subclass 500)

Regional Australia is becoming a focus of the Australian government and has recently been generating interest among visa applicants.  With extra points available for regional study and the introduction of new regional visas from November 2019, it has never been a better time to study in regional Australia!  Remember to make sure you have enough time to apply for the new course and secure your student visa as well.

As accredited Education Agents, we can assist you regarding course programs and their requirements, fees, qualification accreditations and professional registrations.

Emergico is a full-service visa and education agency, offering professional, friendly, honest and value-for-money service to take the stress and confusion out of the process of visa applications and school enrolment.

If you’re interested in knowing what opportunities you might have, just click here and we can let you know!

Fanny Huang

Education Consultant